I lost the damn link, so pardon that, but I did read that the Yankees may be scouting John Mayberry Jr. My general thought on Mayberry is that while I wouldn't just cut him now or during the year, I'd be willing to entertain trading him. Yes, he plays a nice outfield, but so does Ender Inciarte. Yes, he plays some first base, but so does Darin Ruf, Laynce Nix, or Chase Utley (if not Frandsen). Yes, he does have some power, but he's not a guy who's going to get much better, but he will reach arbitration next season (and presumably more money than what he gets now). If I could get some more salary relief, or at least a B prospect with upside and move him for something now, I'd probably entertain the thought. It's not the worst thing we could do.
With that said, I don't think we're shopping him, so it's on them to make up a package and move the deal. With that out of the way, here's the roster projection for today on the big league side:
- Rotation: Hamels, Halladay, Lee, Kendrick, Lannan. Closest competitors off: Cook, Cloyd, Lopez.
- Line-Up: Rollins-SS, Revere-CF, Utley-2B, Howard-1B, Young-3B, Brown-RF, Nix/Mayberry-LF, Kratz-C. Closest competitors off: Ruf-LF.
- Bullpen: Papelbon, Adams, Durbin, Bastardo, Aumont, Horst, De Fratus. Closest competitors off: Valdes, Stutes, Diekman, Cloyd.
- Bench: Frandsen, Nix/Mayberry, Quintero, Galvis, Inciarte. Closest competitors off: Betancourt, J. Mitchell, Orr, Lerud, Valle
- Restricted: Ruiz
- DL: D. Young
- Last 5 off: Ruf, Valdes, Stutes, Betancourt, Cook
- Rotation: Cloyd, Pettibone, Martin, Lopez, Cochran. Others in the running: Cook (if he chooses), Bass, Morgan
- Line-Up: Gillies-CF, Hernandez-2B, J. Mitchell-RF, Ruf-LF, Fields-1B, Betancourt-SS, Mather-DH, Valle-C, Orr-3B. Others in the running: Joseph-C, Overbeck-1B/DH, Asche-3B, Martinez-IF/OF
- Bullpen: Stutes, Valdes, Diekman, Savery, Robles, Friend, Jimenez. Others in the running: Miner, Ramirez.
- Bench: Overbeck, Lerud, Martinez, D. Mitchell. Others in the running: Susdorf, Suomi.