Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Maikel Franco all drove in runs in a four-run third inning for the Phillies. It was the heart of the order that kickstarted a big day for the Phillies offense at the plate.
Franco's second major-league home run capped the four-run frame and in the fifth, Howard got in on the fun with his 10th home run of the season as the Phillies rolled past the Nationals on Saturday afternoon, 8-1, at Nationals Park in Washington.
The Phillies opened the scoring in the third as they put two runners in scoring position with one out for Utley. Utley grounded out but plated Ben Revere for the game's first run.
Howard followed with an RBI double that scored Cesar Hernandez. Franco then belted an 0-2 pitch to right-center for a two-run home run.
Two more runs scored in the fourth as Revere hit an RBI single and scored on a fielding error by Ian Desmond.
Stephen Strasburg's recent struggles on the mound continued, as he allowed six runs - five earned - in 3 2/3 innings.
Howard's 10th home run of the season led off the fifth inning, as he connected on the first pitch from A.J. Cole.
Revere would score again in the sixth on a strange play that resulted in Hernandez being called out for not touching first base on his way to a double. Revere scored from first on the play.
Cole Hamels cruised through eight innings, allowing only one run on an eighth-inning double by Desmond. He allowed five hits, one walk and struck out five for his fifth win of the season.
The Phillies close out the three-game series with the Nationals on Sunday afternoon. The first pitch of Sunday's game is set for 1:35 p.m.
- Hamels: W (5-3); 104 pitches, 73 strikes; 8 groundouts, 5 flyouts; 30 faced batters
- Strasburg: L (3-5); 73 pitches, 51 strikes; 7 groundouts, 0 flyouts; 20 faced batters
Out of the 'Pen
- Justin De Fratus (9th): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.27 ERA
- A.J. Cole (4th-8th): 4 1/3 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR, 5.79 ERA
- Casey Janssen (9th): 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
At the Plate:
- Ryan Howard: 3-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Maikel Franco: 2-4, R, HR, 2 RBI, SO
- Ben Revere: 2-4, 3 R, RBI, BB
- Ian Desmond: 1-4, 2B, RBI, SO
- Bryce Harper: 0-4, 2 SO
- Dan Uggla: 1-2, BB, SO
- Sunday, May 24, 2015, at Washington Nationals, 1:35 p.m.
- RHP Aaron Harang (4-3, 1.82 ERA) vs. Gio Gonzalez (3-2, 4.94 ERA)
- TV: CSN; Radio: 94 WIP, 1210 WPHT, SBP 1480 (Sp.)
Kevin Durso is a contributing writer and editorial assistant for Philliedelphia. Follow him on Twitter @Kevin_Durso.