The struggles continued tonight for Phillies starting pitching and the team in general. It's getting more and more frustrating to say the least, and it hasn't been a fun ride over the past week with the Phillies losing more and more games.
I know I typically write out a game story, but this would have been the worst of the season, so instead of that, here are the scoring plays in order:
- First inning: David Wright grounded out to third, Daniel Murphy scored. 1-0
- Second inning: Carlos Ruiz solo homer to left-center. 1-1
- Second inning: Jon Niese singled to center, Lucas Duda and Andres Torres scored. 3-1
- Second inning: Daniel Murphy doubled to center, Jon Niese scored. 4-1
- Fourth inning: Ruben Tejada singled to center, Josh Thole scored. 5-1
- Fourth inning: Daniel Murphy singled to left center, Tejada scored. 6-1
- Sixth inning: David Wright three-run homer to center. 9-1
- Eighth inning: Daniel Murphy doubled to center, Thole and Justin Turner scored. 11-1
Vance Worley went just four innings tonight. He allowed six earned runs on ten hits, walking one and striking out three. Raul Valdes pitched an inning and two thirds afterwards, allowing two earned runs on two hits.
David Wright crushed his three-run homer against Brian Sanches, but the two runners on base were Raul Valdes's responsibility.
Jake Diekman allowed the two-run double to Murphy, but he struck out two in the inning.
As expected after falling behind by ten runs, the Phillies did not come back in the ninth. They dropped their sixth straight and are twelve games behind the Washington Nationals.
Afternoon game tomorrow at 1:05 with Cliff Lee taking the hill for the Phillies, still looking for that first win of the season.
Also, Philliedelphia would like to wish contributor Steve Gallo a very happy birthday! Follow him on Twitter @GalloSays!